Stress mainly occurs due to strain and mental pressure. Though stress in small amount is beneficial and healthy, it should not increase beyond a threshold limit or a person can b highly affected. We can simply define stress as the reaction to a stimulus that disturbs our physical or mental equilibrium. Positive stress is good for better performance specially in sports. Excessive amount of stress is harmful for health. Stress occurs due to the following reasons :
- Your own health, especially if you have a chronic illness such as arthritis, heart disease, or diabetes.
- Emotional problems, when you face such anger which you can’t express, grief, guilt, or low self-esteem.
- Your Relationships: Everyone needs a life line to support them always. Thus having problems with your relationships or feeling a lack of friendships or support in your life.
- Major life changes, such as dealing with the death of a parent or spouse, losing your job, getting married, or moving to a new city can lead to stress. If you are not used to adjusting changes fast you will be prone to stress.
- Stress in your family, such as having a child, teen, or other family member who is under stress, or being a caregiver to a family member who is elderly or who has health problems.
- Conflicts with your beliefs and values. For example, you may value family life, but you may not be able to spend as much time with your family as you want. You may start feeling lost or lack of love in your life.
Due to the above mentioned causes of stress a person can face following problems:
- Your Respiratory System-makes us breath harder.
- In severe cases -leads to heart attack.
- Musculoskeletal System- muscle tense up.
- Endocrine-produces stress hormones.
- Liver- leads to diabetes.
- Gastrointestinal- causes heartburn and acid reflux.
- Nervous System-results in long time drain on the body.
- Reproductive System.
Now as you know the causes and effects of stress, you must have realise how important it is to deal with this evil. You can take the following measures to get rid of stress:
- Regular massage can help you relief your body and brain. In return it will help you feel energetic and happy.
- Meditation can also help you. Take out at least 20 minutes each day and meditate, do yoga it will help your senses boost up and you will surely feel better.
- Eat healthy such as salmon, oats, whole wheat bread and blueberries. These items have incredible health benefits.
- Limit your electronic uses such as phone and laptop. Excess social networking or playing games on these devices can lead to stress as well.
- Consume more of Vitamin B as it helps strengthen your brain cells.
- Aromatherapy: Many studies show that inhaling some scents also help in relieving stress.
- Most importantly sleep. Everyday sleep for at least 6 hrs to 7 hrs. This is necessary to lead a healthy life for everyone. It is a natural stress reducing factor.